What is a Movie Breakdown?Jul 30, 2022
The term, Movie Breakdown, was coined by Mitchell German after he read one of MB’s Movie Reviews (at that time).
A Movie Breakdown is composed of the following parts:
- Overview (Title, Release Date, Storyline, Synopsis, Taglines, Genres, Keywords, Era, Title Review, Tagline Review, More Taglines, etc.)
- Theme (Fantasies, Story Concept, Dilemma, Theme, Virtue, Vice, Moral Premise)
- Story World (Significant Event, Story Events, Story Locations, Story Worlds, Establishing Shots, Genre)
- Character (Clans, Protagonists, Allies, Threshold Guardians, Antagonists)
- The Four Questions (Who is the heroine, What does she want, Who’s trying to stop her, What happens if she fails)
- The Archetypes (Orphan, Wanderer, Warrior, Martry/Magician)
- Character Relationships (Virtue, Vice, Revelations, Quotes)
- Structure - Sequences (Protagonist POV)
- Structure - Sequences (Story POV)
- Structure - Storylines
- Structure - Fence Posts
- Save the Cat Beat Sheet - Blake Snyder
- Scene Listing
- Imagery (Symbols, Images, Codes, Motifs, Acronyms)
- Bookends (Opening Image, Closing Image, Bookends Juxtaposed)
- Values (Mystical Function, Cosmological Function, Sociological Function, Pedagogical Function, Culture, Rituals, Risks)
- Did you know
- References (Relevant Movies, etc.)
A Movie Breakdown ranges from 20 pages up to 250 pages.
A Movie Breakdown is ALWAYS Non-Fiction.
Structure (Narrative and Story Development)
A Movie Breakdown differs by its length and this difference is limited by the Author’s Knowledge of Film, Myth, Semiotics, Archetypes, Psychology, Sociology, Mysticism, and other Wisdom Teachings.
Structure (Stylistic and Literary Purpose)
A Movie Breakdown’s aesthetics and beauty lies in how the Author presents the information.
Because of a Movie Breakdown’s stringent requirements, you will not see many Bloggers or Writers partaking in this endeavor.